Thursday, August 31, 2006

Post Mortem

What did I learn from last night's failure?

  1. I used way too much spice. If I keep all of those flavors in the recipe, I'll have to cut every measurement by at least half.
  2. I'm looking to create a fairly hot sauce, but a full tablespoon of chili powder was over the top. I couldn't really taste the blend of other spices over the heat.
  3. Next time, I'll just cook the wet ingredients without spices. Based on the color and consistency, I think I got the ratios and simmering time right, but it was hard to judge anything about the flavor.
  4. I should be working with the spices in groups starting with the essentials like salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, etc. The next batch will be much simplified.
I'll get to work on a new recipe to be posted and tested this weekend.

No comments: