Monday, November 06, 2006

One Step Forward

What did I learn from last night's batch?

  1. It's still too hot. I think the chipotle powder packs too much of a punch.
  2. Eliminating the tomato paste and reducing the tomato sauce first was a very good idea (thanks RC). However, I still need to tweak this approach for a more complex flavor.
  3. I still want to add more smoke flavor without increasing the heat or using liquid smoke.
  4. This batch was too sweet, but I really liked the addition of honey.
  5. A few spoonfuls of corn starch slurry thickened the sauce properly, but I kinda feel like that's cheating.
What will I try next time?
  1. 1/4 tsp of chipotle
  2. 24 oz of crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce
  3. Search Penzey's for smoked spices
  4. 1/4 cup of brown sugar but include honey and possibly molasses to thicken