Saturday, February 03, 2007

Trois

Ladies and gentlemen, we have tang. I know I promised four iterations of The Sauce by the end of today, but I'm awfully pleased with my latest attempt. This version thickened perfectly, and I'm removing the corn starch option from the recipe. When cooked properly, The Sauce needs no artificial agents. I'm stopping here for the night. Before making another batch, I think I need to get some outside opinions.

I made some big changes this time around including the addition of ketchup and prepared mustard. I've avoided the Heinz until now because I've tasted way too many BBQ sauces that were essentially ketchup, Worcestershire, and not much else. In this case as an additive, I think I may have found what was missing. You'll also notice powdered lemon peel and a touch of cinnamon in the recipe.

Dry Ingredients
3/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/4 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Powdered Lemon Peel
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Celery Seed
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Dry Mustard
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper

Wet Ingredients
3 cups Beef Stock
16 oz Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Prepared Mustard

Finishers
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Molasses

Simmer tomato sauce about 45 minutes to thicken. Combine the wet ingredients and bring to a boil. Combine the dry ingredients. Add to the wet and simmer 1 hour. Add the finishers approximately 15 minutes before the end of cooking.

1 comment:

Dwayne Butcher said...

tang tastes good with gin and a nice cigar